Press Release: PDP Blast APC Over Refusal to Swear-in Lawmaker.
August 6, 2017.
Disobedience of Supreme Court Judgement by the Kano State House of Assembly…Another Glaring Case of Impunity by the APC – PDP
We are constrained to bring to the attention of Nigerians and all lovers of democracy and the Rule of Law, another glaring case of impunity and lawlessness by the Ruling APC Government, this time by its Kano State branch.
2. The Supreme Court had on 12th July, 2017 delivered Judgement in a case concerning the House of Assembly Seat of Kura/Garun-Mallam Constituency of Kano State.
3. The Supreme Court in Appeal NO: CA/K/225/2015, SC.957/2015 upheld the Judgment of the Court of Appeal, kaduna Division delivered on the 27th of November, 2015.
The Court held:
(i) that the Appeal is completely devoid of merit and dismissed accordingly;
ii) That the 3rd Appellant, Alhaji Hayatu Musa Dorawar Sallau is hereby ordered to Vacate the Seat of the Kura/Garun Mallam Constituency in the kano State House of Assembly forthwith;
iii) That the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is hereby ordered to withdraw the Certificate of Return issued to Alhaji Hayatu Musa Dorawar Sallau immediately and issue same to the Runner-up in the General Election into the Kano State House of Assembly;
iv) That the Speaker of the Kano State House of Assembly or the Clerk of the House of Assembly (whichever is applicable) is hereby ordered to Swear in the Runner-up in the Said Election.
4. INEC has already complied with the Judgement of the Supreme Court by issuing a Certificate of Return to our Candidate to represent the Kura/Garun Mallam Constituency of Kano State.
5. From the Judgement of the Supreme Court, it is clear that the Speaker of the Kano State House of Assembly is under compelling obligation to swear in Abdullahi Muhammed of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) without any delay.
6. However 26 days after the Judgement, and more than two weeks after the Issuance of the Certificate of Return by INEC, the Speaker of the Kano State House of Assembly is yet to comply with the clear Judgement of the Supreme Court. In a lawless and barbaric display of power and impunity for which the APC has become well known, the Speaker has blatantly refused to swear in our Candidate.
7. We call on the Governor of Kano State, the Attorney General of the Federation and all well meaning Nigerians to prevail on the Speaker of the Kano State House of Assembly to obey the Rule of Law and to perform his constitutional duty by swearing in Mr Abdullahi Mohamed without further delay.
8. Meanwhile we are looking at all legal options to bring the erring Speaker to book for this constitutional violation.
9. We fought hard for this democracy. We sustained it for sixteen good years. We will not allow it to be destroyed by the recklessness of those who are intoxicated by power.
God bless the PDP! God bless Nigeria!!
Prince Dayo Adeyeye
National Publicity Secretary, PDP