The Omnipotence Of Saraki
By Oluyemi Fasipe (@YemieFash)
Fresh facts have emerged about the Tuesday, August 7th failed coup at the National Assembly and the clandestine attempts by the Buhari administration to cover up a story that played out in the full view of the nation, both online and on social media.
Before we begin, it is important to note that the angle being peddled by aides of President Buhari, led by his Personal Assistant on Social Media, Lauretta Onochie, is that the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, planned the siege on the National Assembly with the former Director of DSS, Lawal Daura, to avert his removal.
However, many Nigerians have been asking, how can such a far-fetched rumour fly, when there have been several instances of draconian clampdowns and denials by the Buhari government, as we head into the 2019 election season?
As Nigerians, we must ask ourselves, devoid of any sentiment:
1. When the Inspector General of Police (IGP) directed his men to block the residences of the Senate President and the Deputy Senate President — on the day that 14 Senators planned to defect from the ruling party — were the Principal Officers of the National Assembly behind that blockage too? Remember the IGP’s response then, and the IGP’s response now sound eerily familiar: “I didn’t know about it.” Was this Saraki’s fault too?
2. When armed thugs, led by a Senator who is opposed to Saraki, in the full glare of the cameras, broke into the Senate Chambers, beat up and injured 7 staff, marched down the walk way and made away with the mace — the symbol of the Senate’s authority — what did the President, who heads the security agencies do about it? Nothing! What did the security agencies, who were alleged to have colluded with the thugs to facilitate their entry and exit in the National Assembly do? Nothing! Was this Saraki’s fault too?
3. When on Monday, August 6th, 2018, the social media was awash with meetings being held by former Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, Senator Hope Uzodinma, Senator Omo Agege and Senator Ndume — to figure out how to impeach Saraki and Ekweremadu, was Saraki behind those meetings too?
4. At around 2am on Monday, August 6th, 2018, when Tinubu reached out to Abba Kyari, to help him beg Lawal Daura to facilitate the blockage of the National Assembly premises using DSS agents, was Saraki behind that too?
5. When the DSS submitted reports that indicted the Acting Chairman of the nation’s anti-corruption body, EFCC, for monumental corruption, shouldn’t the President have stepped in and reigned in his appointees for embarrassing his government? But, instead, they are now spinning a conscious web of malicious lies that alleges that it was Saraki’s fault too.
6. When the Police blocked the State House of Assembly of Benue, and only allowed 8 out of the 30 lawmakers that were loyal to the ruling party to enter — in order to commence impeachment proceedings against the Governor, was that Saraki’s fault too? Did he call up his dear friend, IGP Idris to ensure that the premises of the Assembly were blocked in order to embarrass Governor Ortom, who recently decamped with him?
7. In October 2016, when the DSS raided the homes of judges in the middle of the night. President Buhari did not say anything. Vice-President Osinbajo, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and former Attorney General of Lagos State — who should have known better — did not say anything. Maybe its because, in their minds, it was Saraki — who has DIRECT authority over the DSS who was behind that raid on our judges houses too.
8. When officers of the Nigerian Police Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), kill, assault, harass and terrorize Nigerians across the country everyday — President Buhari has not said anything. Vice-President Osinbajo, who should be an advocate for human rights did not say anything. Maybe it is because, it is Saraki who sends SARS to beat up Nigerians every single day.
At this point, it is clear that it is either this Saraki guy strong, or the Buhari guy no get sense. Because, how can a whole President and Presidency, claim that the Director of the DSS was not operating under the directives of the President?
As Falz said: #ThisIsNigeria.
Me, I say: #JudgeWithYourChurchMind.